Our teeth work hard and are continuously under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Sadly, enamel erosion is extremely common, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal problems, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At OKC Smiles, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt further erosion if some has already transpired.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Too-forceful brushing can damage enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt future erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call OKC Smiles today at 405-634-7303 to schedule an examination. Dr. Phan will give you guidance on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.
Contact OKC Smiles:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):